Our first Monday in the hospital is ending. My husband is asleep in the bed next to me. We are sleeping in a room like Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore. We each have our own twin bed and I'm pregnant with little Alex. It's surreal living in a hospital room. You really have to learn to live in the moment and not think about tomorrow or the next day. It's difficult to not have something to look forward to in the near future.
I saw my OBGYN today, Dr. Strecker. She and I discussed the time length and the possbility of getting litte Bayles to turn over to avoid a C-Section labor. She said it wasn't an impossible feat. I have been attempting to coax him to turn over. I was also approved for 6 hours of work a day. This is fantastic news as it keeps me from having to apply for FMLA. We do not have the sick time and vacation saved up enough for me to be in the hospital for 6 weeks and then on maternity leave for 6 more. Thank you Dr. Strecker for noting how much work means to me.
I worked from my laptop this morning managing time cards, approving time cards for payroll on Friday and reviewing and answering emails. It's frustrating not being at work with the Customer Care employees, but I know that the management team we have will handle any issues with ease. Any concerns will be addressed in a team fashion and they will escalate any items to me as needed. It's an excellent opportunity to show their strengths as team leaders.
I had an onslaught of lovely visitors today. The first was Heidi a new friend from the Shrine. She came bearing gifts in a recycable brown bag (one of our baby colors). She was dressed up nice for work with a candy cane scarf. One of her gifts was a Cars puzzle that my cousin Zachary put together in mere minutes. Another puzzle sits partially built on a hospital tray table. Andy and I worked on it for almost 30 minutes until giving up for bed.
Next came my Uncle Rick. I did not lose my water from hitting golf balls. Repeat after me, Nikki did not lose her water from hitting golf balls on Thanksgiving day. It was great to see him and I always enjoy hearing his stories of what he's been up to.
In the middle of our visit, one of my employees, Alaina stopped by to drop off some work and take away some work for someone else to do. I like Alaina's energy. She is a very strong and motivated woman. God bless the women I know for their consistent strength and focus.
Next came Traci, Ricky, Caden and Zachary. This was an absolute surprise. They were driving home from Texas and stopped in. I was so very happy to see all 4 of them. Talking with Traci about my situation and listening to her adventures in Texas was a treat. Ricky is such a good father. I knew he would be, It's great to see that it's true. I was able to enjoy watching Caden and Zachary explore the room for something fun to hold their attention. No such luck. It turned out that the reclining chair, the offer of an orange and a Cars puzle were the only 3 things that could. I guess if I were 4 this room would be terribly boring for me too (what am I saying, I'm 36 and struggling with these walls).
Next came Christina and Lane. Talk about strength, motivation and focus. Wow! They brought me a beautiful vase of flowers. Included were some sunflowers (my late mother's favorite). Now they shine beautiful in my 1 room, 1 bath baby room. We discussed many topics including what is most important in life and to keep in mind where we'll be 10 years from now. It was a powerful conversation that made me want to go get coffee with these ladies and discuss more of our weight of the world. Que sera, they had to leave.
Next came my Aunt Leisa bearing dinner from Panera. Woohoo! This was significantly better than the mystery meat I chose from the menu earlier in the day. One thing I truly love about Aunt Leisa is that she paints a picture with her thoughts. I feel a part of her experience as she shares them and can visualize her in these scenarios.
My Aunt Nancy came in a few minutes later with the pants she had bought me in a smaller size. By the way, they fit perfect and I am very pleased with how soft they are. If I weren't 164 pounds and stuck in a hospital room for 6 weeks, I could almost be considered sexy in this nightgown and pants. Almost...
Nancy and Leisa are in it for the long haul they say, and I know that they mean it. My Aunt Nancy is such a treat to be around. She is so soft and loving. Thank you for being you, Aunt Nancy.
After the Aunties left, I took some tylenols for my headache, a 6 from 1-10 and laid back on my bed and thought about my day. I was tired and needed a shower. It felt good to wash off the day. My first Monday in the hospital. As I was getting dressed, I realized that Andy wouldn't be back until after 9. It's Monday night and he has his blue lodge meetings. But low and behold 20 minutes later he came in with the pregnancy books and lotion I asked him to bring. He said tonight's meeting wasn't that important and took off his jacket. God bless my Andy. We played 11 games of boggle while listenting to Drew Brees play a masterful game of football against the Patriots. I barely beat him at it. It seems that this is the only game in which I can outplay my husband. I'm just glad that there is one. He's so smart that it's hard to play games against him. We are both so competitive. We then put together the Cars puzzle and started in on the barn scene puzzle. We snuggled until it was time to take my vitals and give me my antibiotics.
Now he sleeps restlessly next to me while I recount my busy day. I wish that his bed was more comfortable. I worry about his back and his neck. He needs and deserves the best sleep he can get.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Grandma needs more pictures. lol lol Hope things are going well. And peanut will be home soon. Can't wait I bet. I know I would be totally on cloud 9.
Kisses and hugs to all!
Post a Comment